Eggplant Parmesan is classic Italian comfort food done right. Typically made with battered and fried eggplant slices and plenty of full-fat cheese and marinara sauce, while Eggplant Parmesan may be mostly plant-based, it’s not exactly a healthy dish – until now! The food blogger behind Skinny Taste has crafted a lighter Eggplant Parmesan recipe that is only 255 calories per serving and provides 20 grams of protein. Best of all, this recipe is much simpler than the traditional version – no battering required!
• 2 pounds eggplant, 1 large or 2 medium
• Olive oil spray
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 12 ounces part-skim ricotta
• 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 large egg
• 2 1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella
• 4 cups marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 2 sheet pans with oil.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to the prepared pans. It’s okay if they overlap. Season with salt and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley, and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
4. Put 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish. Add 1/3 of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and 3/4 cup of the sauce.
5. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and sauce two more times, reserving the third layer of mozzarella for topping. Finish with 1 1/2 cups of sauce, remaining mozzarella, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
6. Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. When the oven is hot, cover the dish with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling for about 40 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
8. Take the dish out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting.
Cook up something delicious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Station 3700 Apartments in Euless, Texas, and put our expansive kitchens to good use!